Tuesday, February 7, 2012


Super Bowl Cupcakes

This year, for the infamous “Super Bowl Party” I wanted to make something different. I know how to make spinach and artichoke dip, I can order pizza and wings whenever I want, veggies are something I eat everyday and I just didn’t feel like making your typical cake and cookies for dessert. So, where else to look than good ‘ole Pinterest? No where.

As soon as I saw them, I knew it was what I wanted to make…BEER CUPCAKES! Two of my favorite things in life and I knew my husband would be curious to try them. I found this great pin and went to the website, Erica’s Sweet Tooth for the recipe:

Blue Moon and Corona Cupcakes
Recipe adapted from Miss Make

I used Erica's Pictures b/c they turned out better than mine!
For the beer cupcakes
3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange or lime zest
1-cup Blue Moon or Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4-cup milk
Orange/lime wedges and sanding sugar for garnish

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
- Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.  
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm.  

For the citrus cream cheese frosting:
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange/lime juice
1 tsp orange/lime zest
4 cups powdered sugar

- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.  
- Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well combined.  Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Load frosting in a piping bag fit with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled.  

Recipe yields 24 cupcakes- and they were so delicious! Definitely might be a repeat recipe next year! Thanks Erica!

No comments:

Post a Comment